IULM University, better known by its open name “Libera Università di Lingue e Comunicazione”, was founded in 1968 by Professor Carlo Bo and Professor Silvio Baridon as the Institute of Modern Languages. In 1998, the name was changed to IULM University of Languages and Communication.
The main goal of this university has been following the current trends in the market, to carry out various studies, to generate ideas and to meet the requirements of the labor market since its foundation.
The top mission of the IULM University is to bring its graduates to the business world by evaluating the labor shortage that has emerged as a result of various studies conducted in international markets.
The IULM University, consisting of three faculties, is built on an area of 50,000 m². IULM University is an important educational institution for those who want to make remarkable studies in their field with nine laboratories, two research centers, approximately 240,000 books, 1300 newspapers and 13,000 audio resources in its library.
Students enrolling at IULM University are offered a variety of three-year courses in line with their preferred field of study: Public Relations and Business Communication, Communication, Media and Advertising, Interpreting and Communication, Tourism, Culture and the Region, Communication in Cultural and Arts Markets. In addition to these courses taught by the faculty, students are also offered a variety of seminars and elective courses to study professional services, business, public administration and management of cultural organizations. Classroom activities and case studies, internships in Italy and abroad and international student exchanges are organized to help students develop themselves and become competent individuals in their fields.
IULM University World Rankings
IULM has the student at the core of its mission, emphasizing the interaction between students and faculty, paying attention to aspects of university life such as the connection to the real world, collaborative learning and the promotion of creative thinking. The fact that IULM University ranked 1st in Italy and 4th in Europe on a survey on student satisfaction and scored 201+ in the overall table of THE Europe Teaching Ranking 0f 2019 which proves how much they value their students with this positive approach. Considering that this is the first time Università IULM has been included in this ranking, it is an important starting point.
IULM University is also included in THE Impact Rankings of Reducing inequalities 2020, ranking between 201 and 300.
See also our article about “Italian Universities in the Top 500“.
Where is IULM University?
IULM University is located in Milan, Italy, on a campus built in 1993. Situated in the center of Milan, near the Navigli canal, IULM offers students easy access to the historical and touristic sights of the city center.
IULM University or Universita IULM in Italian, is open from 8:30 to 19:30 on weekdays from Monday to Friday and from 8:30 to 12:30 on Saturday.
Student Life at IULM University
IULM University is located in Milan, which promises students an active social life and is a center of attraction. Milan, the second largest city of Italy, is also known as the financial center of Italy and offers numerous opportunities in the international business and finance sectors.
The location of the university allows students to visit the historical and cultural buildings in the city center, as well as important tourist museums. In addition, the Navigli area near the university is famous for its active restaurants and bars, art galleries and shops and students can get involved in vibrant social life of Milan.
Students have various options for theaters, museums, concerts and other cultural events, as well as the opportunity to visit all Italian cities with student travel cards that provide unlimited transportation.
In Italy, where a student travel card is available for public transportation, students can easily explore Milan. Students studying at IULM also benefit from many facilities such as discounts on cinema, theater, concerts, festivals and international events tickets. Studying on campus in the center of Milan, IULM students will be able to experience daily cultural events and entertainment opportunities and will be able to visit places frequented by young people, such as Navigli and Colonne di San Lorenzo.
Also, don’t forget to check out our article about “Moving to Italy and Living in Italy“!
Departments of IULM University
- Interpreting and Communication
- Communication, Media and Advertising
- Public Relations and Corporate Communication
- Tourism, Management and Territorial Development
- Arts, Entertainment and Cultural Events
Undergraduate Programs taught in English
The duration of study at IULM University is three years, as in all other European countries. Students studying at this educational institution are eligible for graduation after completing 180 ECTS (credits).
- Public Relations and Corporate Communication
- International Communication
- International Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management
- English Language and Literature
Postgraduate Programs taught in English
- Fashion, Sustainability and Governance
- Human Resources and Organization
- International Relations and Diplomacy
- Tourism, Events and Sustainability
- New Media and Social Communication
Master Programs in English
- Communication for International Relations (teaching in English and in Italian)
- Game Design
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Food Design
- International Communication
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Master’s programs at IULM University are predominantly one-year. However, in some master’s programs, education provided in English which corresponds to 120 ECTS and lasts for two years.
2-Year Master’s Programs taught in English
- Strategic Communication
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
Tuition Fees and Scholarship Opportunities | IULM University
Undergraduate degree fees at IULM University are €8000 per year. Two-year master’s programs taught in English are set at € 9400 per year. Tuition fees for one-year master’s programs in English vary.
- Communication for International Relations: The tuition fee is 12,672 € per year.
- Game Design: Tuition fee is 10,560 € per year.
- Tourism and Hospitality Management: The tuition fee is 14.400 € per year.
- Food Design: The tuition fee is 15,600 € per year.
- International Communication: 13.500 €.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: The tuition fee is 12,500 € per year.
In addition, there are many scholarships in Italy that you can apply for depending on your family income while studying at IULM University. These scholarships are of many different types such as merit scholarships, DSU scholarships and Italian government scholarships for international students.
Dormitory and Accommodation Facilities
Students studying at IULM University have the possibility to stay in dormitories within the Campus. According to the price set by the university, students can stay in the Residence Halls at IULM University for a monthly fee of €280.00. In these halls with 10 beds, five beds are reserved for undergraduate students and the other five beds are reserved for postgraduate students.
Please see our article “Accommodation in Italy” for more information.
What are the Application and Admission Requirements at IULM University?
Undergraduate degree program requirements
- Completion of the 12 years of education
- Having exceeded the minimum score in the university entrance exam
- B2 level language proficiency on IELTS or TOEFL exams is required for programs taught in English
- Programs taught in Italian also require a B2 level language qualification (CELI and CILS exams)
- Language proficiency check is not the same in every university and program, in some cases it is enough to pass only the interview
- To complete student visa, passport issuance and other consular procedures
Postgraduate and Master’s Programs requirements
- To have completed any undergraduate degree program
- B2 language proficiency is required for programs taught in English or in Italian
- Master’s or doctoral (PhD) programs must be compatible with the obtained undergraduate program
- Meeting the prerequisites of programs having prerequisites
- All other necessary paperwork such as student visa, passport and translation of bachelor’s degree certificate
Frequently Asked Questions
Is IULM University public or private?
IULM University is a private university. Located in Milan, one of the most touristic and popular cities of Italy, this private university offers programs in specific fields as Interpreting and Communication, Media and Advertising, Public Relations and Corporate Communication and Tourism.
What are the programs taught in English at IULM University?
IULM University also offers programs taught in English. In particular, there are programs in English in the fields of international communication, international tourism and English language and literature.
How much is the tuition fee at IULM University?
Tuition fees at IULM range from 8,000 to 15,000 euros per year for undergraduate, graduate and doctoral (PhD) programs. These fees vary depending on factors such as the program to be chosen and the student’s family income.
What advantages do graduates of IULM University have in finding a job?
Graduates of IULM University are well prepared to build successful career in sectors as communication, fashion, tourism, languages and intercultural studies. The University has close ties with Italian and international employers and offers its graduates job opportunities to develop their career in this field.
What are the campus facilities at IULM University?
IULM University offers students a wide range of opportunities at its modern and technologically equipped campuses and allows its students to develop culturally as well as socially. Student clubs, gymnasiums, libraries, language laboratories, media centers, student clubs, sports halls, libraries, language laboratories and media centers are always available for students on campus.