History of La Sapienza University of Rome
La Sapienza University of Rome (Sapienza Università di Roma) was founded in 1303 and is one of Italy and Europe’s most well-established universities.
In 1294, Benedetto Caetani became Pope Boniface VII after his predecessor convinced Pope Celestine V to abdicate. In 1303, Pope Boniface VII founded Studium Urbis, which is Rome’s first university. Studium Urbis is the first name of the university today known as La Sapienza. The word “Sapienza” means “wisdom” in Italian.
La Sapienza University of Rome is a well-established educational institution that has trained Italy’s country administrators, scientists, astronauts, artists, and Nobel Prize-winning academics for centuries. It is also the largest University in Europe, with 112,000 students and 10,000 academics.
For detailed information, you can check our “Study University in Rome” article.
Where is La Sapienza University of Rome?
La Sapienza University of Rome is located in the city of Rome, the capital of Italy and the Lazio region. Rome is also home to the independent state Vatican, where the Pope, leader of the Catholic World, lives.
Rome is the most populous city in Italy and the largest city in terms of surface area. With a total population of 4 million, the city alone earns 6.5% of Italy’s national product. The 2800-year-old Roman city has been the capital of Byzantium, the Roman Empire, the Papacy, the Kingdom of Italy, and the Italian Republic.
Notable Persons Educated at La Sapienza University of Rome
La Sapienza University of Rome is a well-established university that has trained Italian rulers, Nobel laureate scientists, and artists. Among the alumni of the University of Rome:
- Italian Prime Minister Guiseppe Conte
- Italian President Sergio Mattarella
- The former foreign minister of Italy, Federica Mogherini
- Palme d’Or and Oscar-winning film director Federico Fellini
- Another Oscar-winning director Bernardo Bertolucci
- European Central Bank President Mario Draghi
- The inventor of the Montessori Method and the first woman doctor of Italy Maria Montessori
- The first European astronaut of the International Space Station Umberto Guidoni
and many other prominent people have been seen.
Student Life in the city of Rome
Rome is one of Italy’s most touristic cities. Rome’s city is known as “Caput Mundi” in Latin, “the center of the world.” The town, which has many historical and touristic places such as the Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, and Vatican City, is one of the most tourist-attracting cities in the World.
It is a very vivid city for students with its cosmopolitan structure. In Rome, one of the cities with the highest international student mobility, there are events, concerts, exhibitions, conferences, and many other activities for students every period of the year.
For detailed information, you can check our “Places to Visit in Italy” article.
University Education in Rome
Studying in Rome puts you in the heart of Italy’s vivid and historic capital, home to the Vatican and ancient monuments dating back to 70-80 AD. Studying University in Rome guides you not only in your education but also in your life with the lectures in a dynamic environment both culturally and politically.
It also offers the opportunity to visit historical buildings, monuments, and museums among the most popular and iconic places in the World. If you’re looking for an intellectually encouraging and stimulating (mind-blowing) university study abroad experience, Rome would be a great choice.
Two universities in Rome offer medical education in English. Especially in recent years, Italy, which has attracted attention to its medical education, is an excellent choice for education in Europe and Rome for education in Italy.
- According to CWUR2019 data, World’s 67th best University,
- According to current QS2020 data, the 171st University in the World,
- According to Times Higher Education 2019 data, among the top 300 universities in the World,
- According to the Shanghai Ranking 2018 data, it is again among the World’s best 300 universities.
La Sapienza University of Rome is Europe’s largest university in terms of the number of students. With its long history and world-renowned graduates, it is an excellent choice for education in Italy. According to QS Rankings, it was chosen as the best university in the World in the field of “classical and ancient studies.” In the general rankings, it is ranked among the top 300 universities in the World every year. According to the rankings of some institutions, it is among the top 100 universities in the World.
It is among the top 5 universities in the Best Universities in Italy.
Within La Sapienza University of Rome;
- Faculties: 11
- Programs: 63
- Libraries: 59
- Museums: 20
- University Hospital: 2
- School of Advanced Studies: 1
Faculties of La Sapienza University of Rome
- Medical School
- Arts and Humanities
- Civil Industrial Engineering
- Information Engineering, Informatics, Statistics
- Mathematics, Physics, Natural Sciences
- Astronomy and Space Sciences in Italy
Programs of La Sapienza University of Rome
- Sustainable Civil Engineering
- Architecture (Conservation)
- Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Atmospheric Sciences and Technologies
- Cognitive Neuropsychology
- Computer Science
- Control Engineering
- Data Sciences
- Economy and Communication in the Field of Management and Innovation
- Computer engineering
- British and Anglo-American Studies
- European Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Product Design
- Statistical Methods and Applications
- Sustainable Transportation and Electric Power Systems
- Transportation Systems Engineering
The university offers an architectural program in English. For the program whose applications are ongoing, we provide services in the entire process, from applications to starting your education in Italy. You can contact our team for detailed information.
For detailed information, you can check our “Study Architecture in Italy” article.
One of the most preferred universities by students who want to study medicine in Italy is the University of Rome Sapienza. In order to receive medical education in Sapienza, one of the two public universities that provide medical education in Rome, it is necessary to take the IMAT Exam according to the score ranking determined for the university.
For detailed information, you can check our “Medical Exam in Italy” article.
Medical School Fees
Medical school fees at the University of Rome range from 500 to 3,000 euros per year. It is possible to get discounts on tuition fees. You can contact us to benefit from the professional consultancy services we offer in this field.
For detailed information, you can check our article “Studying Medicine in Italy.“
- Orchestra, choir, and community clubs to encourage sociability on campus,
- Theatron – Antique Theater Group,
- Sapienza Web radio
- Sports Clubs and
- Numerous cultural, social, and sporting events throughout the year.
Dormitory and Accommodation Facilities at La Sapienza University of Rome
Dormitories are usually the first choice of students for accommodation, who prefer Rome La Sapienza University. The fees for student dormitories vary between 250-400 Euros. Room rents start from 350 Euros.
For detailed information, you can check our “Accommodations for Students in Italy” article.
Scholarship Opportunities at La Sapienza University of Rome
Students who prefer Rome La Sapienza University can also benefit from scholarships. Scholarships are awarded in amounts varying between 2.000-5.200 Euros per year. Although the scholarships you will receive in Italy do not cover all your living expenses, they will make a significant contribution to financing your education.
You can reach the “Studying in Italy” team, which has education and life experience in Italy, to benefit from Italy’s scholarship education opportunities.
For detailed information, you can check our “Study on a Scholarship in Italy” article.
Tuition Fees at La Sapienza University of Rome
Italy is a whole education country where you can get a quality education in Europe with very attractive opportunities. Rome La Sapienza University is also a university that draws attention with its quality education and relatively low tuition fees. It is possible to get discounts on tuition fees ranging between 500-3,000 Euros per year. You can consult our expert team for professional support on the subject.
For detailed information, you can check our “Education Fees in Italy” article.
Undergraduate Education at La Sapienza University of Rome
The University of Rome is a perfect choice for students who want to study as an undergraduate in Italy, with a long history and full English language programs. Rome La Sapienza is preferred by international students, especially for medical education.
Sapienza Università di Roma, which has one of Italy’s most developed hospitals, offers a very high-quality medical education. In addition to the Medicine department, different departments are offered entirely in English within the university.
Master Education at La Sapienza University of Rome
Sapienza Università Di Roma is one of the most preferred Italian universities by international students. Especially engineering and law departments attract a lot of attention from the students.
You can reach our team with a master’s experience in Italy to study at the University of Rome with a scholarship.
Erasmus Program at La Sapienza University of Rome
Italy is the 5th most preferred country for Erasmus education. It is a great choice for Erasmus education with its proximity to other countries, exciting culture, and friendly people. Rome and the University of La Sapienza are excellent choices for Erasmus in Italy and open the horizon to different experiences.
How to Study at La Sapienza University of Rome
There are some necessary conditions to study at the University of Rome. We can separate these as essential requirements in undergraduate and graduate education.
Requirements to Study (Undergraduate)
Undergraduate education in Italy lasts for 3 years, and departments accept students with an exam. Requirements for undergraduate study at the University of Rome are:
- It is necessary to take the IMAT exam and enter the university’s quota to receive an undergraduate education in Medicine at Rome La Sapienza.
- Have a language certificate at the B2 level from internationally valid English exams (such as TOEFL / IELTS).
- He has completed 12 years of primary education.
- Having passed the threshold in both sessions of the university exam.
For detailed information, you can check our “Requirements to Study University in Italy” article.
Requirements to Study (Master Education)
The requirements for mastering at the University of Rome are:
- Having graduated from a relevant program
- Having a language certificate at the B2 level from internationally valid English exams (such as TOEFL / IELTS)
- Rome La Sapienza has not set any lower limit for the graduation average for master’s education. However, having a high graduation grade is effective in the evaluation process.
In addition, you can check our “Italy Education Consultancy” article.