Established in 1990, the Polytechnic University of Bari – Poliba was initially founded as the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Bari. Subsequently, with the establishment and development of the Faculty of Engineering of University of Taranto, it developed engineering majors.
The major Engineering Departments offered at the University are: Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Management Engineering, Computer Science Engineering and Environmental Engineering.
Nowadays, the University, which offers its services to more than 10,000 students, closely follows scientific developments thanks to its numerous research and development centers. Basic and applied research activities of the University are organized in the Research Centers inside the university.
Students studying at the University have an opportunity to be very engaged during their study years. Associations and student organizations at the Polytechnic University of Bari offer students the opportunity to socialize directly and participate in decision making processes. Students aim to determine the student representatives in the bodies by the elections held within the school.
At the same time, according to opinions of individuals, students who receive education at this school; the well equipped education they receive also pays off in the work atmosphere. 89% of the students who graduate from Polytechnic University of Bari get a higher position jobs in job market within three years after graduation.
You can also check our article “The Best Technical Universities in Italy“.
World Ranking of Bari Polytechnic University
According to Times Higher Education (THE) data of 2021, the world ranking is between of the University is between 401 and 500th places. Politecnico di Bari, which is a newly established university, is ranked 86th according to the Young University Rankings data of 2020 among all universities that have been founded in the recent past.
Additionally, you can review our article about “Top 500 Italian Universities” .
Where is Bari Polytechnic University Located?
The University is situated in Bari, in the Southern part of Italy, in the quiet port city. Bari is considered the most economically developed city of Italy after Naples.
The University has also campuses in Foggia and Taranto.
Bari is a city located in Southeastern Italy, on the coast of Adriatic Sea. The Polytechnic University of Bari is close to the city center. Students can easily reach the University from the city center by public transportation also on foot.
Student Life in Bari
The University is a global educational institution where students coming from many different nations study, as it accepts numerous university students by the Erasmus exchange program.
Thanks to the cosmopolitan nature of the university, students have an opportunity to communicate with other students apart from their own nationalities and discover the characteristics of different cultures.
With a high proportion of young generation and thousands of tourists visiting the city every year, Bari is the center of attraction for students. During their education at this University, students have a chance to discover world-famous food of Bari, as well as the Teatro Petrezzelli stage where world famous operas are performed, St. Nicholas Basilica, Murat district, Mercantile Square, Nicolaiano Museum, Sveno Castle, St. Sabino Cathedral, Bari Civico Museum and Altamura Town.
What support services are available for international students at the Polytechnic University of Bari?
- Language Courses: Italian and English language courses are offered to all students. The language courses aim to provide students with sufficient language skills for academic studies in Italian and in English.
- Student Mentoring Program: The University has a student mentoring program for international students. This program is designed to assist students in the process of adaption to university life and culture in Italy. Student mentors help students in academic, social and cultural issues.
- Accommodation: Students are able to stay in university dormitories or in private accommodation in Bari. The accommodation office assists students offering accommodation options and helps to find affordable accommodation.
- Consulting: Students can ask for academic advising, career counseling and personal counseling. There are various support programs to help students to adapt to living and studying in Italy.
- Cultural Events: The Polytechnic University of Bari organizes a number of cultural activities for students to better know and closely experience Italian culture. Students are welcomed to visit museums, learn about Italian cuisine or participate in other cultural events organized in the city.
You can also check our article about “Moving to Italy and Living in Italy“.
Departments at Bari Polytechnic University
Polytechnic University of Bari contributes to students not only in the form of undergraduate programs but also in the form of master’s, doctorate and integrated doctorate programs by providing education in 5 different faculties and 12 programs.
At Politecnico di Bari – Poliba, students do not have an opportunity to study undergraduate programs in English, all undergraduate departments are taught in Italian. However, if you wish it is possible to study in English for master’s degree. Master’s programs taught in English are available with thesis and there is no exam that should be taken during the admission period.
Master’s Degrees taught in English
- Industrial Design
- Automation Engineering
- Telecommunications Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
Undergraduate Courses taught in Italian
- Electrical and Information Technologies Engineering
- Computer engineering
- Aerospace Systems Engineering
- Civil engineering
Master’s Degrees taught in Italian
- Telecommunications Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Information Engineering
- Industrial design
Tuition Fees and Scholarship Opportunities at Bari Polytechnic University
The Polytechnic University of Bari is one of the most prominent public universities of Italy and the common price range applied in public universities in Italy is also valid at this university. Public university fees in Italy are known to be directly dependent on the financial situation of students’ family. Tuition fees range from 156 to 3500 euros and there is a discount available on student fees.
The diversity of educational opportunities in Italy is not limited to tuition fee discounts at public universities. In addition to the discounts on tuition fees, Italy is also a student friendly country with the amount of scholarships provided to students. According to the education policies implemented by the Italian Government, it is known that certain number of students are receiving state contributed scholarships every year, and this scholarship amounts range between 2000 and 5200 euros per year.
Are Living Costs Expensive in Bari?
The cost of living in Bari is lower than compared to other major cities of Italy, but average or slightly above when compared to the cost of living in Europe as a whole. Here are some examples of living costs:
- Accommodation: Accommodation expenses in Bari can vary depending on the rent, location and quality of apartments in the city. On average, the monthly rent for a single bedroom apartment is between 500 and 700 euros. It might be more affordable to stay in a shared apartment. Dormitories and student accommodation facilities are also available for students.
- Food: The city is also well known for its delicious Italian cuisine. The cost of dining may vary depending on the type of food and the quality of the restaurant. The average price of a meal is between 10 and 20 euros.
- Transportation: Public transportation expenses in Bari are reasonable. The price of a one time use ticket is 1 Euro. Students can also benefit from unlimited transportation options by obtaining monthly subscriptions.
- Entertainment and cultural activities: Historical and cultural heritage, beaches and vibrant nightlife of Bari are very dynamic. Ticket prices for cinema, theater, museums and other cultural events are in the range of 10 to 15 euros on average.
The cost of living in Bari may vary depending on lifestyle of a person, accommodation options and other expenses. However, in general, Bari is a city with a low costs of living compared to other major cities of Italy.
Dormitory and Accommodation Facilities at Politecnico di Bari
The Polytechnic University of Bari suggests several accommodation options for students. Students can stay in privately rented apartments and student dormitories.
Student dormitories offer students an affordable and safe accommodation choices. Dormitories can be found in locations close to the University campus or near to the city center. The Polytechnic University of Bari has several dormitories, offering students single and double rooms. Dormitories usually provide students with shared communal areas as kitchen, dining hall and laundry facilities.
Private rental apartments offer students more independent accommodation options but can be more expensive compared to dormitories. Apartments can be found near to the campus or to the city center. Students may prefer apartments for self-catering options and for more freedom and privacy.
Bari offers a wide range of accommodation options for students and there are different options to suit budget of students.
You can also check out our related article about “Accommodation in Italy“.
What are the Application and Admission Requirements for Polytechnic University of Bari?
Undergraduate degree program requirements
- Completion of the 12 years of education
- Having exceeded the minimum score in the university entrance exam
- B2 level language proficiency on IELTS or TOEFL exams is required for programs taught in English
- Programs taught in Italian also require a B2 level language qualification (CELI and CILS exams)
- To complete student visa, passport issuance and other consular procedures
For Postgraduate and Master’s Programs
- To have completed any undergraduate degree program
- B2 language proficiency is required for programs taught in English or in Italian
- Master’s or doctoral (PhD) programs must be compatible with the obtained undergraduate program
- Meeting the prerequisites of programs having prerequisites
- All other necessary paperwork such as student visa, passport and translation of bachelor’s degree certificate
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Polytechnic University of Bari (Poliba) public or private?
The Polytechnic University of Bari is a public university with programs in technical and professional areas such as engineering, architecture and design. The university located in Bari also accepts high proportion of international students.
What is the language of instruction at the Polytechnic University of Bari?
At Poliba, undergraduate programs are generally taught in Italian, while number of postgraduate and master’s degree programs are taught in English. In other words, programs at the university are both in English or in Italian.
Which majors does Polytechnic University of Bari offer?
The Polytechnic University of Bari consists of many different departments. These departments include various disciplines such as engineering, architecture, mathematics, physics, computer science, arts and social sciences. Students have a chance to continue their studies by choosing from the list of undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs.
What is the academic calendar of the Polytechnic University of Bari?
The academic calendar of the Polytechnic University of Bari usually starts in September or October and ends in June or July. The study year is divided into two semesters. The first semester starts at the beginning of October and ends in January, while the second semester starts in February and ends in June. Numerous short-term training programs are also offered during the summer months.
How can I apply to the Polytechnic University of Bari?
You must first check the registration dates and requirements on the website of University in order to apply to the Polytechnic University of Bari. There might be different application deadlines and requirements for international students. Usually, students may need to demonstrate a certain academic performance, pass Italian or English language proficiency tests and submit a number of required documents.
What activities and services are offered by Polytechnic University of Bari?
The Polytechnic University of Bari offers students a lot of social and cultural activities. Students can enroll in student clubs, use the gyms and outdoor sports fields, take part in social events and attend various cultural events in the city, such as museums, theaters, concerts and festivals.