Roma Tre University is a public University with nearly 40,000 students, founded in 1992 as Terza Università degli Studi di Roma (Third University of Rome) with an idea of “a young university for young generation”.
The University of Rome the Third has been established in Rome at the proposal of several academics from La Sapienza University of Rome, the third public institution in Rome. It is currently one of the biggest academic institutions in the region and the second most applied University in Rome. It consistently ranks in the top 5% of Italian Universities in accordance with “CENSIS” yearly ranking of major universities (those with enrollments of 20,000–40,000).
The founding beliefs of UNIROMA3 (Roma Tre University) are the promotion and organization of high quality international research, the development and propagation of knowledge, the protection of the environment, international solidarity, the principles of gender equality and the estimation and recognition of merit.
The University has restored old buildings and school properties, converted them into study and research facilities and consolidated them into the surrounding area. The most successful and popular department of Roma Tre University is the Humanities department. Following departments in the list are Architecture and more recently Economics, Law and Political Sciences.
Where is the location of Roma Tre University?
Roma Tre University, locates next to the Tiber River, is an Italian public research university with its main campus in the Ostiense neighborhood.
Rome is the capital of Italy and the Lazio region also is the largest and most populated city in the country, with around 3 million inhabitants. It is located in the central and western part of the Italian peninsula at the confluence of the Aniene River and the Tiber River.
Rome, Caput Mundi (Capital of the World), la Città Eterna (The Eternal City), Limen Apostolorum (The Threshold of the Apostles), la città dei sette colli (The City of the Seven Hills) or simply l’Urbe (The City) and for centuries the center of Western civilization and seat of the Catholic Church, the Vatican, is an enclave of Rome.
As a modern and cosmopolitan city, Rome is the third most visited touristic destination in the European Union and a center of cultural and political importance. The City hosts the headquarters of three of the world’s 100 the largest companies (Enel, ENI, Telecom Italia) as well as the headquarters of the majority of important Italian companies.
One of the few main European cities to have survived World War Second, relatively untouched, Rome continues to maintain its Renaissance and Baroque character. The Historic Center of Rome was added to the World Heritage List by UNESCO in 1980.
You can also check out our article “Cities to Visit in Italy “.
World Ranking of Rome Tre University
- Roma Tre University ranks 689th according to CWUR World University Rankings 2020-2021 data,
- It was placed between 601 and 800 in the Times Higher Education (THE) Global University Rankings of 2021; 101-150 in the Young University Rankings of 2020; and 151-200 in the European Teaching Rankings of 2018.
- The university ranks has been among the range of 801-1000 in QS Global World Ranking of 2021.
- It was listed 845th according to 4icu World University Rankings of 2020.
- In addition, according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject of 2020 data, the Earth and Marine Sciences and Architecture Department ranked in the range of 151 to 200, Law and Legal Sciences 200 to 250, Modern Languages 250 to 300, Arts and Humanities 316, Physics & Astronomy, Economics and Econometrics and Engineering, Electrical and Electronic 351 to 400, Computer Science and Information Systems, and Natural Sciences 401 to 450.
Additionally, you can review our article “Top 500 Italian Universities” .
Famous Graduates of the Rome Tre University | Università degli studi Roma Tre
Famous people who graduated from University of Rome Tre are:
- Alessandro Di Battista (Politician)
- Andrea Alù (Research professor)
- Virginia Raggi (Attorney)
- Andrea Riccardi (Historian)
- Cinzia Giorgio (Author)
- Mariella Gittler (TV presenter)
- Greta Scarano (Actress)
- Noemi (Singer and songwriter)
Student Life in Rome
Students travelling to Italy should be open to new things. It is recommended to obtain more information and enroll in language courses that will allow you to learn more about Italian life, culture, history and also literature. Rome, which has 16% of the world’s cultural treasures and 70% of Italy’s cultural treasures, attracts attention with its large student community. The number of cafes, bars, restaurants and events is also remarkably high. With its centuries old traditions, food, culture and history, Rome is one of the cities that students want to visit the most.
Of course, first of all that comes to mind about student life is living expenses. In addition, university canteens are in high demand by students as they provide meals in an affordable price. Moreover, students of the Department of Architecture and Education at Roma Tre University can also use canteens at La Sapienza University of Rome.
Roma Tre University strenghens actions aimed at improving environmental quality, above all by promoting the use of public transport and the use of alternative means of transport against traditional private transport. The main initiatives taken by the office during these years are: electric car sharing, the creation of a policy of discounts on annual bus fares, bike-sharing, agreements with Trenitalia and Italo Treno for railway discounts.
The Palladium Theater, different sports, the Italian Navy League, Roma Tre Radio, and Roma Tre Orchestra are all included in the list of sports and recreational activities of the university.
For further details, read our blogpost about ” Life in Rome “.
Departments at Rome Tre University | UNIROMA3
Roma Tre University offers multilingual education. It has many departments teaching in Italian, English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish and Russian. Below you can find the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs in English:
Undergraduate Programs taught in English
- Legal Services
- Foreign languages and cultures
- Science Architecture
- Law (lasts 5 to 6 years)
Master’s Degrees taught in English
- Field and Natural Resources Geology
- International Studies
- International Relations
- Film, Television and Multimedia Production
- History and Societies
- Languages and literatures for teaching and translation
- Literature and Intercultural translation
- Languages and literatures for Intercultural communication
- Modern languages for Intercultural communication
- Electronic engineering for industry and innovation
- Biomedical engineering
- Communication and information technology engineering
- Road infrastructures and transport engineering
- Pedagogy, Adults’ Education and Long-Life Learning
- Environment and Development Economics
- Finance and business
- Economics and Management
- Finance and business
- Master of Science – Architecture
- Master of Science – Restoration
- Master of Science – Urban Design
For detailed information about the education process and application requirements in Italy, you can check our ” Postgraduate Education in Italy “. blogpost.
Tuition Fees at Rome Tre University
Rome Tre University tuition costs are calculated based on family income and the country of origin of students. Regularly tuition fees range from 150 € to 3500 €.
Do not neglect to complete our application form if you want to get the opportunity to pursue your education under the circumstances that correspond best with your values and to secure affordable tuition fees.
Italy is one of the countries in Europe that offers the most scholarship opportunities. Scholarship offers vary based on the university and department you will apply to. In Italy, which consists of regions, each region offers scholarships according to its predetermined requirements. These scholarships vary according to family income, success and personal income of the students.
Dormitory and Student Accommodation Facilities at Roma Tre University | Università degli studi Roma Tre
To obtain a space in the dormitory at Roma Tre University, you should register early. Students have wide range of housing choices besides the university dorms, including private ones, rooms for one to five people, studio and conventional apartments, and hotels.
Renting a shared apartment or a single room is typically the most popular preference for students who cannot settle in a dormitory while studying at an Italian University. In Italy, where living expenses are quite cheap in comparison with other countries and annual scholarship payments are just as high as in other countries and students will not face any problems while pursuing your education.
Also, don’t forget to take a look at our article “Accommodation in Italy” .
Application and Admission Requirements
UNIROMA3 university application and admission requirements are generally as follows:
- Being graduated from any undergraduate program
- The master’s program to be applied for must be related to the obtained undergraduate area
- Italian or English B2 level competence certificate, depending on the language you are going to studying
- It is essential to clear any special prerequisite exams and assessments if they are required by the university for which the application is made to.
- With all these conditions, the student visa, passport issuance and the necessary documents to be submitted to the consulate should be prepared
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Roma Tre University public or private?
Roma Tre University, also known as UNIROMA3, is a public university. Located in Rome, one of the most important cities in Italy and the world, this public university accepts many international students every year.
Is Roma Tre University free and if not, how much is the tuition fee?
Roma Tre University is a public university with an annual tuition fee. There is an average annual tuition fee ranging from €150 – €3500 for undergraduate, graduate and doctoral master’s programs. Fees vary according to the programs and the language of instruction.
UNIROMA3 – What is the language of instruction at Roma Tre University?
The programs at Roma Tre University are mainly in English and Italian. There are also some additional programs at UNIROMA3 in French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian and other languages.
How is transportation to Roma Tre University, how can I meet my transportation needs in Rome?
Students who will arrive the university by air will be able to reach the school easily by trains and subways that provide intercity transportation after landing at Fiumicino – Leonardo da Vinci Airport. In addition, students in Italy are provided with an unlimited transportation card for a low monthly subscription fee.
Is there a dormitory at Roma Tre University, where can I stay?
There are many public and private dormitories in Rome. Every year, international students are placed in these dormitories with a certain quota. Students who cannot benefit from dormitory facilities can rent a room or studio apartment.