Italy has become a highly preferred country in recent years, especially for medical programs. Many universities offer world-class education entirely in English. Siena University is the only option for students who want to study dentistry in Italy in English. The duration of this program in Italy is six years. It aims to provide graduate students with a well-equipped dentist by giving courses on biological sciences, clinical sciences, and dentistry practice. Speaking about the content of the program, students learn about the essential components and diseases of the human body with biology lessons in the first two years. Practical lessons start from the second year onwards. Thus, students gain experience by putting theoretical training into practice. The third and fourth year of the program is progressing with more practice. It aims to obtain the necessary expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of oral diseases and communication with patients. Thus, as they graduate, they immediately start working as well-equipped dentists.
There are more university options for studying dentistry in the Italian language. The common aim of dentistry education in Italy is as follows;
- Competent training in basic and biological sciences
- Providing quality dental care to all segments of the population
- High moral and professional standards in public health
You can also check our “Study University in Italy” article.
Why should you study dentistry in Italy?
Italy is a country that has shaped the European culture and history preferred by students from many countries of the world. The multitude of programs offered in full English and the many opportunities thus are essential factors that make Italy attractive. In recent years, it has become highly preferred for departments such as medicine and dentistry. Let us list why you should study dentistry in Italy and its advantages.
- In Italy, you can study dentistry entirely in English. In this way, you will learn English in your mother tongue level. Also, you will have the opportunity to learn Italian during your internships and daily life of education.
- After your education, you will have a ” blue diploma “, which is valid for whole European countries. In this way, it is possible to work without any bureaucratic obstacles when you find a job.
- After graduation, your diploma will also be easily recognized by other countries, thanks to the world rankings of Universities in Italy being so high.
- In order to study dentistry at the University of Siena, you must take the IMAT exam.
- As the student accepts the exam, the students go through a specific elimination process, and this ensures that the quality of education remains at a high level.
However, passing the entrance exam is not as difficult as for medicine. Therefore, you have a high chance of being accepted for dentistry with a particular examination-oriented study.
IMAT 2020 held on September 10, 2020.
How can you study dentistry in Italy?
There are several steps you need to do in order to study dentistry in Italy. We can list them as follows:
- Having at least 12 years of educational background.
- To pass the threshold in the national admission test in the country which studies lastly.
- Candidates have to reach the point that leads to entering the quota determined for dentistry in the IMAT exam.
- Since the IMAT exam also proves your English proficiency, you do not have to get any English language certificate. However, due to the increasing demand every year, internationally valid language documents such as TOEFL / IELTS can be requested. Therefore, we recommend that you obtain these documents.
For detailed information, you can check our “Medical Exam in Italy” article.
Tuition Fees in Italy
Annual training fees for studying dentistry in Italy range from 500-3,000 Euros. We are applying for scholarships in order to get discounts on school fees for our students who would process with us. You can contact us to benefit from the services we offer in this area.
For detailed information, you can check our “Education Fees in Italy” article.
Scholarship Dentistry Education in Italy
Students studying dentistry can also benefit from scholarship opportunities. They can receive scholarships ranging from 2,000 to 5,200 Euros per year.
For detailed information, you can check our “Study on a Scholarship in Italy” article.
Content of the Dentistry Program in Italy
The primary purpose of Siena University’s dentistry undergraduate program is to train dentists who have competence, clinical expertise, and ethical competence in providing oral care to patients. Students will take basic science courses such as oral physiology and pathology, medical issues related to dentistry, and all dental issues (e.g., restorative dentistry, endodontics, periodontology, oral surgery, implantology, prosthetics, orthodontics). Each subject is also supported by practical training in order to increase theoretical knowledge and improve students’ professional skills. Most dental schools in Italy have the following course contents during their study;
Biological sciences: Human anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, and pharmacology; also oral anatomy, oral pathology, and oral histology. The undergraduate program is based on the recommendation of ADEE (European Dental Training Association) and the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research. In recent years, all students have been provided with daily work on patients using innovative digital dentistry tools and new dental materials.
You can read our “Italy Education Consultancy” article.