The University of Pisa is a university that provide education to students in numerous fields as Agriculture, Astrophysics, Computer Science, Social Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Business Administration and Veterinary Medicine.
The University of Pisa (Unipi) is the first public university in Italy to offer education in Computer Science in its 17 research laboratories. According to various researches, the official founding date of the University of Pisa is 1343, although the establishment date of the school dates back to the 11th century.
The University of Pisa has hosted a lot of Nobel Prize-winning scientists since its foundation. Galileo Galilei, one of the most famous scientists in history, is known for having studied at the University of Pisa.
Apart from Galilei, other notable alumni of the school are Andrea Bocelli, Enrico Fermi, Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, Carlo Rubbia, Francesco Redi, Vito Volterra, Enrico Betti, Luca Gammaitoni, Carlo Chiti, Emilio Bizzi, Francesco Barberini and Silvano Arieti.
The University has serious connections, especially in the field of information technologies thanks to the Pisan Institutes of the National Research Council and its considerable development since 19th century. The University of Pisa also has an astronomical observatory, botanical gardens and a museum of natural sciences, where students can obtain theoretical and practical training.
Where is the University of Pisa (Unipi) Located?
The University of Pisa is situated in the central part of Italy in the city of Pisa. Pisa is located in the Toscana region of Italy. The main campus of the University is a large and modern campus located near to the River Arno.
Student Life at the University of Pisa
Located in Pisa, close to the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa and many of museums of Italy, the University of Pisa is an educational institution that offers a very active social life to students. Students studying at this educational institution have an opportunity to travel to Rome, Milan and Turin thanks to the intercity high speed trains. The vibrant life of the city attracts many tourists to visit Pisa and students have an opportunity to interact with other cultures.
World Rankings of The University of Pisa
- The University of Pisa is in the top 150 universities according to the ARWU rankings of 2020.
- It holds 264th place in accordance with CWUR 2020-21 data.
- The Times Higher Education (THE) ranking for 2021 places the University among the top 500.
- It is placed 383rd in the 2021 QS World University Rankings.
Additionally, you can review our article about “Italian universities in the top 500” .
Departments of University of Pisa
Undergraduate Programs in English
- Sciences of Communication and Performing Arts
- Cultural Heritage Studies
- Food Biosafety and Quality
- Plant and Microbe Biotechnologies
- Agrifood Production and Agroecosystem Management
- Urban Green Areas and Landscape Planning and Management
- Animal Production Science and Technology
- Bionics Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Embedded Computing Systems
- Applied and Exploration Geophysics
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Vehicle Engineering
- Telecommunications Engineering
- Building and Structural Engineering
- Electric Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Energy Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Hydraulic, Transportation and Territory Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Robotics and Automation Engineering
- Materials and Nanotechnology
- Marine Management and Administration
- Clinical and Health Psychology
- Human Nutritional Sciences
- Sport Science for Prevention and Rehabilitation
- Nursing and Midwifery Sciences
- Health Professions of Rehabilitation Sciences
- Archeology Studies
- Classical Philology and Ancient History
- Philosophy and Forms of Knowledge
- Digital Humanities
- Italian Studies
- Euro-american Literatures and Philologies
- Linguistics and Translation
- Studies on Ancient Egypt, Near and Middle East
- Planning and Governance of Tourism System in the Mediterranean Area
- Peace Studies: Conflict Transformation and Development Cooperation
- History and Civilization
- History and Forms of the Visual and Performing Arts and New Media
- Biology Applied to Biomedical Sciences
- Marine Biology
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Molecular Biotechnology
- Industrial Chemistry
- Conservation and Evolution
- Applied and Exploration Geophysics
- Computer Science
- Computer Science and Networking
- Business Informatics
- Environmental Science
- Geosciences and Geotechnologies
- Banking Finance and Financial Markets
- Business Communication and Human Resources Management
- Professional Advice to Business
- Marketing and Market Research
- Public Administration Sciences
- Sociology and Management of Social Services
- Strategy, Management and Control
- International Studies
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Agriculture, Food and Environment
- Chemistry and Materials Science
- Earth Sciences
- Life sciences
- Data Science
- Business Administration and Management
- Legal Sciences
- Political Sciences
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Energy, Systems, Territory and Construction Engineering
- Information Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Smart computing
- Smart Industry
- Clinical Physiopathology
- Genetics, Oncology and Clinical Medicine
- Molecular Medicine
- Science of Drug and Bioactive Substances
- Clinical and Translational Sciences
- Life sciences
- Veterinary Sciences
- Linguistic Studies and Foreign Literatures
- Philology and Criticism
- Classical Studies and Archeology
- History of the Arts and Entertainment
- Italian studies
Additionally you can check our articles about “University Education in Italy (Bachelor’s Degree)” and “Postgraduate Study in Italy“
Tuition Fees and Scholarship Opportunities | University of Pisa
According to the Italian education system, students who are willing to study at university pay according to their family income. In public universities, various price ranges are determined according to this condition. The fee range varies between €407 and €2,354 for undergraduate and graduate programs.
There are also scholarship opportunities provided by the Italian Government for international students who will study at University of Pisa and other Italian universities. Students might cover the larger part of their living costs during the education process thanks to these scholarships.
Dormitory and Accommodation Facilities at University of Pisa
The University of Pisa offers dormitory facilities for its students. Students can stay in one of the dormitories belonging to the University or in private ones. Dormitories of university are usually offered at prices that are affordable for students’ budgets and students are also provided with catering services. Students who are planning to stay in dormitories should follow the dormitory application process and complete the necessary procedures submitting number of documents. There are also private dormitories in Pisa and in nearby cities, offering services at different price ranges according to the needs of students.
Pisa is one of the smallest cities of Italy. Generally, accommodation costs for undergraduate, graduate or doctoral students at the University of Pisa are around 400 to 450 euros per month.
Students who cannot benefit from dormitory facilities meet their accommodation needs by considering alternatives such as room rental, shared apartment or low-cost studio apartment rental. In this respect, accommodation costs will be in equivalent ranges to dormitory prices.
You can also take a look at our article “Accommodation in Italy” on this subject.
What are the Application and Admission Requirements at Pisa University?
Undergraduate degree program requirements
- Completion of the 12 years of education
- Having exceeded the minimum score in the university entrance exam
- B2 level language proficiency on IELTS or TOEFL exams is required for programs taught in English
- Programs taught in Italian also require a B2 level language qualification (CELI and CILS exams)
- Language proficiency check is not the same in every university and program, in some cases it is enough to pass only the interview
- To complete student visa, passport issuance and other consular procedures
Postgraduate and Master’s Programs requirements
- To have completed any undergraduate degree program
- B2 language proficiency is required for programs taught in English or in Italian
- Master’s or doctoral (PhD) programs must be compatible with the obtained undergraduate program
- Meeting the prerequisites of programs having prerequisites
- All other necessary paperwork such as student visa, passport and translation of bachelor’s degree certificate
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the University of Pisa (Unipi) public or private?
The University of Pisa is a public university. Located in Pisa, one of the most beautiful cities of Italy and home to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, this university offers numerous undergraduate and graduate programs.
What are the programs offered at University of Pisa
The University of Pisa (Unipi) offers education in various fields, including bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs. Programs cover the fields of medicine, engineering, science, humanities, humanities, social sciences and law.
What are the student accommodation options at the University of Pisa?
There are different accommodation options for students coming to Pisa. These options include public or private dormitory rooms, shared apartments, single studio apartments and room rentals.
How much does university tuition cost?
Enrollment fees at the University of Pisa are paid annually and range from 407 to 2,354 euros per year on average. Conditions as the student’s family income status and the program to be chosen can be effective in determining university fees.
Are there scholarships available at University of Pisa – Unipi?
International undergraduate or graduate degree students who are willing to study at the University of Pisa can benefit from the scholarship opportunities provided by the Italian Government. Students can cover major costs such as accommodation and all living expenses with this annual scholarship.
Are living costs expensive in Pisa?
The cost of living in Pisa is in average compared to other major Italian cities. The average cost of living in the city is between 700 and 1000 euros per month when all costs such as accommodation are included.