The University of Trieste, founded in 1924, is a public university in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia Region with around 16,000 students. In addition to its main campus, it also has campuses in the cities of Gorizio, Pordenone and Portugruaro.
The mission of the University of Trieste which Located in the port city of Trieste is to produce and disseminate knowledge and to be committed to tackling the fundamental challenges of our time.
The idea of establishing a university in Trieste is first documented in early years of 19th century when the port of the city was built. University was on the agenda in order to support trading volume of the city and the need for education and training of citizens, but it didn’t happen until 1877…
In 1877, a vocational high school of commerce called “Scuola Superiore di Commercio” was founded. In 1920 the name of the school was adopted as the “Institute of Business Studies”, in 1924 as the “University of Economics and Business”, but later the name changed to the “Regia Università degli Studi” (Royal University). In the following years after World War II, the university continued its educational activities with different faculties.
The names of these faculties and the years they started to provide education are as follows:
- Engineering (1942)
- Literature and Philosophy (1943)
- Mathematics, Physics and Natural Sciences (1946)
- Pharmacy (1956)
- Education (1956)
- Medicine and Surgery (1965)
- Political Science (1974)
- Advanced School of Modern Languages for Interpreters and Translators (1978)
- Psychology (1997)
- Architecture (1998)
Finally, the University of Trieste reformed into its university structure between 2010 and 2012, removing faculties and opting instead for a department based system with specific mandates for both teaching and research activities.
Where is the University of Trieste? | Università degli Studi di Trieste
Located in Trieste, the capital of the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region with over 200,000 inhabitants, the University of Trieste is in a very versatile location.
You can drive to Slovenia in just 15 minutes and to Croatia in just 45 minutes.
Set on 118 islands, Venice, the City of Canals and Water, can be reached in just 2 hours thanks to the hourly trains departing from Trieste. (Related article “Ca Foscari University of Venice“)
The main campus of the University of Trieste locates at Piazzale Europa 1 on the Scoglietto hill. Some departments, such as the Department of Geological Sciences, the Department of Earth Sciences, the Department of Humanities, the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, are scattered in other parts of the city.
In Grignano, a nearby town, there is the Department of Theoretical Physics and the International Center for Theoretical Physics. Another nearby town, Basovizza, hosts the Department of Astronomy and two Astronomical Observatories of the city.
Other campuses were established in Gorizio (1989), Pordenone (1991) and Portugruaro (1997).
You can also check out our article ” Cities to Visit in Italy “.
Culture, Economy, Opportunities in Trieste City
With the Adriatic Sea to its south and the city of Trieste with its extraordinary beauty, the region has recently experienced an increase in interest in study, culture, and science.
The major European conference on topics in science, technology, culture, and policy, ESOF (Euro Science Open Forum), has been determined to take place in the city in 2020. Additionally, Trieste offers a broad variety of sporting and cultural events, as well as numerous student activities, renowned theaters, strong artistic events, and a variety of recreational and cultural activities.
You can also review our article ” Italian Technology Companies “.
Student Life in Trieste | University of Trieste
Trieste is by the sea, and the University students can have a wonderful experience there due to the seaside activities. The weather is usually moderate, despite being cold in the winter. Entertainment events such as The International Opera Festival, the Latin American Film Festival, the Alps Film Festival, the International Celtic Festival, and the renowned Barcelona Sailing Championship are organized annually.
Every year, hundreds of athletes from around the world participate in the Barcelona Sailing Championship. And if you prefer mountain biking, you can take the bicycle path from the Karst to the Slovenian and Croatian coasts and experience in the historic surroundings.
Study life in Trieste is full of art, culture, nature and sport. The city offers many daily activities with performing arts, theaters, opera, museums, literary cafes, cinema and science festivals. Studying in Trieste also means taking advantage of the many organizations and facilities for outdoor enthusiasts, such as swimming, rowing, sailing, snorkeling and scuba diving, horse riding, caving, rock climbing, hiking, tennis and golf.
In addition, in the student satisfaction survey conducted by the university for the 2018-19 Academic Year;
- Regarding teaching and learning activities, 89,252 students reported 85% overall satisfaction with 98% of the courses they evaluated.
- According to the opinions of students on the overall experience, a survey of 12,568 students indicated 81% overall student satisfaction against 79% service.
- There is 86% overall student satisfaction with 86% of the exams evaluated by 51,454 students who participated in the student opinion on the exams.
You can also review our article ” Moving to Italy and Living in Italy “.
Famous Graduates of the University of Trieste | (Università degli studi di Trieste)
Famous graduates of the University of Trieste are:
- Marta Verginella (Historian)
- Albert O. Hirschman (Economist)
- Andrea Illy (Businessman)
- Dušan Jelinčič (Author)
- Darko Bratina (Sociologist)
- Antonio Giordano (Oncologist)
- Lamberto Zannier (Diplomat)
- Margherita Hack (Astrophysicist)
- Stefano Patuanelli (Member of the Italian Republic Senate)
World Ranking of University of Trieste
The rankings of colleges in Italy, Europe, and the rest of the world are shown below and these implies:
Among Italian universities;
- 3rd in the list according to RUR,
- Ranked #15 conforming with US News & World Report,
- Ranked 8th according to THE Times Higher Education – World University Ranking data,
- Ranked 5th by THE Times Higher Education – Subject Ranking,
- 4th place according to Censis 2020/2021 data
- Ranked 17th on the basis of NTU Ranking data
- Ranked 14th according to Education Around data
- 1st place based on Education Around – Subject Ranking data
Among European universities;
- Ranked #125 according to US News & World Report data
In the world ranking;
- Ranked 225th according to RUR,
- Ranked 201st in the QS World University Rankings by Subject,
- Ranked #282 conforming with US News & World Report data,
- Ranked #401 in THE Times Higher Education – World University Ranking,
- Ranked #401 in THE Times Higher Education – Subject Ranking,
- Ranked 201st based on THE Times Higher Education – Subject Ranking data,
- According to NTU Ranking data, it ranks 384th.
Additionally, you can review our article “Top 500 Italian Universities” .
Departments of University of Trieste | Università degli studi di Trieste
The University of Trieste offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs in English and Italian in various fields. The general undergraduate programs at the university are as follows;
- Economics and Management
- Interpreting and Translation
- History, Philosophy
- Education and Social Service
- Political Science, International Relations and Diplomacy
- Biology, Biotechnology, Genomics and Neuroscience
- Pharmacy, Chemistry and Pharmacetical Technology
- Medicine, Surgery and Health Sciences
- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
- Statics and Actuarial Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Environmental Science and Technology
English taught Sections
- Economics and Financial Markets
- Business and Management
- Production Engineering and Management
- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
Professional and Advanced Master’s Degrees
- Medical Physics
- Sustainable Blue Growth
Doctoral (PhD) Departments
- Earth Science and Fluid Mechanics
- Molecular Biomedicine
- Environmental Life Sciences
- Managerial and Actuarial Sciences (shared with Udine University)
Admissions, Application Requirements to University of Trieste
Foreign students who intend to enroll in the dual-language program of the university in either English or Italian must first achieve the B2 proficiency level in that language. (For more information, please refer to our blogpost titled “SAT, TOEFL, and IELTS Examinations” for English)
Application requirements for undergraduate programs
- If you intend to study for a bachelor’s degree at University of Trieste, you must first be admitted to an existing university in your country of citizenship. Under this condition, you do not have to be enrolled in the university, you only need to exceed the minimum score in the university entrance exam.
- You must complete prerequisite exams like the IMAT if you plan to pursue medicine or a related subject.
- Collecting the required paperwork for a student visa, passport, and the program being requested for
Application requirements for Master’s and Doctorate (PhD) programs
- First and above all, the master’s degree you choose to enroll in should be in a discipline that is connected to the undergraduate subject you previously attended.
- An Italian and English B2 language certificate is necessary when considering master’s and doctoral studies.
- If there is a prerequisite or a separate exam for the master’s program, you should be informed in advance and the process should be followed.
- The student visa, passport and necessary documents should be prepared and the application should be made by following the proper procedures.
Tuition Fees and Expenses at University of Trieste | (Università degli studi di Trieste)
The University of Trieste tuition fees are calculated based on family income. Italian residents pay between 0 Euro – 2,567 Euro per year depending on the income difference, while non-residents pay tuition fees ranging from 300 Euro – 2,500 Euro per year.
Italy is one of the countries in Europe that offers the most scholarships and they vary according to the university and department you are applying to. In Italy, which is consisting of regions, each region offers scholarships according to its own requirements. These scholarships vary according to family income, success and personal income of students.
Thanks to these annual scholarships, university costs in Italy can be fully covered if the student does not live in an expensive city. In order to benefit from these annual scholarships on a permanent basis, you must fulfill a certain number of course requirements.
Please see our articles for more detailed information about scholarship opportunities.
Dormitory and Student Accommodation Facilities at University of Trieste
3 dormitories are located on the campus of the University of Trieste. In Trieste, there are several housing choices for students from outside the city.
Additionally, you can submit an application for housing at other dorm rooms in addition to the university’s, and a few state facilities also accept applicants.
Students now have a variety of accommodation choices thanks to the restoration of the former Military Hospital, a structure established in 1863 during the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
In general, students looking into residential properties in Italy for their university studies, both domestic and foreign students, frequently consider options like renting a studio apartment, a room, or a shared apartment.
For details, you can check our article “ Accommodation in Italy ”.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is the University of Trieste public or private?
The University of Trieste is a public university and as a public university offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs in English and Italian.
Is the University of Trieste free and if not, how much does it cost?
The University of Trieste does not have a free program. All programs in English and Italian have an average annual tuition fee of 300 Euros to 2,500 Euros. The average cost of living in Trieste for month is between 700 Euros and 800 Euros.
Is there a dormitory at the University of Trieste and can I benefit from scholarship opportunities?
There are many public and private dormitories in Trieste and on campus. Each year, these dormitories have a certain quota for international students. International students who will study at the University of Trieste and in Italy in general can benefit from scholarship opportunities.
How to reach the University of Trieste and how is transportation provided in the city?
Students coming from Europe or other continents to study at the University of Trieste can access the university by train and metro after landing at Trieste airport in the city. Transportation between cities in Italy is very easy with train and metro services. Students can benefit from this transportation opportunity unlimitedly with a monthly subscription.