General Information About the University of Trieste
The University of Trieste is a public university located in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia Region, founded in 1924 and with approximately 16,000 students, and has campuses in the cities of Gorizio, Pordenone and Portugruaro, apart from its main campus. Mission of the University of Trieste; is to devote himself to producing and disseminating knowledge and tackling the fundamental problems of the time.
Trieste’s idea of establishing a university was first documented in the 1800s when the city’s port was built. It was on the agenda to establish a university in order to provide the city’s trade volume and the education and training needs of the citizens, but this did not happen until 1877… A vocational vocational high school named “Scuola Superiore di Commercio” was established that year. In 1920 the school was renamed the ” Institute of Business Studies “, in 1924 the ” University of Economics and Business ” but later changed to ” Regia Università degli Studi ” (Royal University) . II. In the following years after World War II, the university continued its education life with different faculties.
The names of these faculties and the years they started to provide education are as follows:
- Engineering (1942)
- Literature and Philosophy (1943)
- Mathematics, Physics and Natural Sciences (1946)
- Pharmacy (1956)
- Education (1956)
- Medicine and Surgery (1965)
- Political Science (1974)
- Advanced School of Modern Languages for Interpreters and Translators (1978)
- Psychology (1997)
- Architecture (1998)
Finally, the University of Trieste reformed its university structure from 2010 to 2012, removing faculties and opting instead for a department-based system with specific mandates for both teaching and research.
Where is Trieste?
Located in the capital of the Friuli-Venezia Giulia Region, with a population of more than 200,000, Trieste University is located in a versatile location. You can enter the borders of Slovenia in just 15 minutes by car, or you can enter the borders of Croatia in just 45 minutes. You can reach Venice, the City of Canals and Waters, built on 118 islands, in just 2 hours, thanks to the trains departing every hour.
The University of Trieste’s main campus is in Piazzale Europa 1 on the hill of Scoglietto. In addition, some departments such as the Department of Geological Sciences, the Department of Earth Sciences, the Department of Humanities, and the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery are scattered in other parts of the city. In Grignano, one of the nearby settlements, there is the Department of Theoretical Physics and the International Center for Theoretical Physics. Another nearby settlement, Basovizza, has the Department of Astronomy and Trieste’s two Astronomical Observatories.
Other campuses were established in Gorizio (1989), Pordenone (1991) and Portugruaro (1997).
You can also check out our article ” Cities to Visit in Italy “.
The extraordinary beauty of the city of Trieste, with the Adriatic Sea to the south, offers a vibrant environment that has once again flourished in recent years, with renewed interest in research, culture and science. The city has been selected to host ESOF (EuroScience Open Forum) 2020, the most important European event focusing on debates in science, technology, society and politics. Moreover, Trieste has a large number of student activities and prestigious theatres, high-profile artistic events and a wide variety of sports and cultural activities.
You can also review our article ” Italian Technology Companies “.
Student Life in Trieste
Located by the sea, Trieste University students can have a good time thanks to its beachfront venues. Although it is cold in winter, the climate is generally temperate. Entertainments such as the International Opera Festival, the Latin American Film Festival, the Alpine Cinemas Festival, the International Celtic Festival and the famous Barcelona Sailing Competition are held. The annual Barcelona races attract thousands of racers from all over the world. Moreover, if you like mountain biking, you can follow the existing bike trail from Karst to the coasts of Slovenia and Croatia, and at the same time enjoy the environment rich in history.
Trieste studentships are full of art, culture, nature and sports. With the performing arts, theatres, opera, museums, literary cafes, cinema and science festivals, the city offers many daily activities. Studying in Trieste also means taking advantage of the many organizations and facilities for outdoor enthusiasts, including swimming, rowing, sailing, snorkelling and scuba diving, horseback riding, caving, rock climbing, hiking, and tennis and golf.
In addition, in the student satisfaction survey conducted by the university for the 2018-19 Academic Year;
- About the teaching and learning activities, 89,252 students reported 85% overall satisfaction with the 98% of courses they evaluated.
- For the student’s opinion on the general experience, a survey conducted by 12,568 students indicated 79% service versus 81% overall student satisfaction.
- 86% of the exams evaluated by 51,454 students who participated in the student opinion about the exams, has 86% overall student satisfaction.
You can also review our article ” Moving to Italy and Living in Italy “.
University of Trieste Notable Alumni
Famous people who graduated from the University of Trieste:
- Marta Verginella (Historian)
- Albert O. Hirschman (Economist)
- Andrea Illy (Businessman)
- Dušan Jelinčič (Author)
- Darko Bratina (Sociologist)
- Antonio Giordano (Oncologist)
- Lamberto Zannier (Diplomat)
- Margherita Hack (Astrophysicist)
- Stefano Patuanelli (Member of the Italian Republic Senate)
University of Trieste World Ranking
Below, the ranking among Italian, European and World universities is given according to different sources. In this order:
According to Italian universities;
- 3rd place according to RUR,
- Ranked #15 according to US News & World Report,
- Ranked 8th according to THE Times Higher Education – World University Ranking data,
- Ranked 5th by THE Times Higher Education – Subject Ranking,
- 4th place according to Censis 2020/2021 data
- Ranked 17th according to NTU Ranking data
- Ranked 14th according to Education Around data
- 1st place according to Education Around – Subject Ranking data
According to European universities;
- Ranked #125 according to US News & World Report data
In the world ranking;
- Ranked 225th according to RUR,
- Ranked 201st in the QS World University Rankings by Subject,
- Ranked #282 in US News & World Report data,
- Ranked #401 in THE Times Higher Education – World University Ranking,
- Ranked #401 in THE Times Higher Education – Subject Ranking,
- Ranked 201st according to THE Times Higher Education – Subject Ranking data,
- According to NTU Ranking data, it ranks 384th.
Additionally, you can review our article “Top 500 Italian Universities” .
University of Trieste Departments
You can also check our articles “Bachelor’s Study in Italy ” and ” Master’s Education in Italy
- Economics and Management
- Interpreting and Translation
- History, Philosophy
- Education and Social Service
- Political Science, International Relations and Diplomacy
- Biology, Biotechnology, Genomics and Neuroscience
- Pharmacy, Chemistry and Pharmacetical Technology
- Medicine, Surgery and Health Sciences
- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
- Statics and Actuarial Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Economics and Financial Markets
- Business and Management
- Production Engineering and Management
- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
Vocational and Advanced Graduate Departments
- Medical Physics
- Sustainable Blue Growth
- Earth Science and Fluid Mechanics
- Molecular Biomedicine
- Environmental Life Sciences
- Managerial and Actuarial Sciences (shared with Udine University)
University of Trieste Tuition Fees
The University of Trieste calculates tuition fees in proportion to family income. Those residing in Italy pay between 0-2567 euros per year depending on the income difference, while those residing abroad pay an annual tuition fee of 300 euros. Thanks to the exemptions and discounts currently applied, qualified or disabled students can receive scholarships, receive discounts or be exempt from fees.
Italy is one of the countries that offer the most scholarship opportunities in Europe. Scholarship opportunities vary depending on the university and department you are applying to. In Italy, which consists of regions, each region grants scholarships according to the rules it determines. These scholarships vary according to family income, success and personal income of students.
For more detailed information, you can visit the University Fees and Scholarships page in Italy.
The University of Trieste’s Dormitory and Accommodation Facilities
Trieste University has 3 dormitories on campus. Out-of-town students have a variety of accommodation options in Trieste. You can apply not only to the university dormitory but also to other university dormitories, as well as some government dormitories that offer accommodation for students. Moreover, student accommodation is quite extensive, thanks to the renovation of the old Military Hospital, a building dating from the Austro-Hungarian Empire and built in 1863.
For details, you can check our article “ Accommodation in Italy ”.
Apart from this, if students contact Pava Education, our team in Italy will provide alternatives such as state dormitories, private dormitories, various buildings and flats, as well as providing comprehensive consultancy services such as university application, and registration procedures, consular procedures and scholarship opportunities.