General Information About the University of Catania
University of Catania is the 29th oldest university in the world, founded in 1434 by King Alfonso V of Spain and Sicily.UniCT , which is the oldest university in Sicily, has more than 40,000 students. In addition, it has a wide variety of courses- 46 three-year undergraduate departments, 7 one-cycle (5-6 years) departments, 49 master’s departments and 18 doctoral programs. Università degli Studi di Catania has three teaching locations in different locations; these are: the School of Modern Languages in Rangusa, the School of Architecture in Syracuse, and Scuola.
University of Catania is located in a city with many international students, its history and culture is still alive. It’s one of the oldest universities in Europe, has high education quality, an affordable university and living costs, is nature-friendly and sustainable, and is home to advanced centres in innovation, science, health and sports. It has the most modern and state-of-the-art laboratories to shed light on the continuation of the ancient Mediterranean culture. Catania is both culturally dynamic and suitable for students and individuals who like to mingle with the university community as a whole.
Where is the University of Catania?
Catania, Sicily’s second largest city by population, is located on the Catania Plain, between the Ionian Sea and the slopes of Mount Etna. Etna has magnificent power, with snow-capped peaks, and a clear sea view on Ionian coast. It has a historical and archaeological heritage, baroque churches and palaces, enogastronomic traditions and music, innate warmth of the people and a culture of hospitality that welcomes tourists in every season.
You can also read our topic ” Cities to Visit in Italy “.
University of Catania World Ranking
- The University of Catania is ranked 456th according to CWUR World University Rankings 2020-21.
- According to the QS Global World Ranking 2021, it is placed between 801-1000 globally.
- According to the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020, it is shown in the range of 151-200 in the Agriculture & Forestry ranking.
- According to the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2021 ranking, it is shown in the range of 501-600.
Additionally, you can review our article “Top 500 Italian Universities” .
Notable Persons Graduated from the University of Catania
- Filippo Drago (Italian neurologist, psychiatrist)
- Vitaliano Brancati (Italian novelist, playwright, poet, screenwriter)
- Lucia Azzolina (Member of the Italian Chamber of Deputies)
- Giulia Grillo (Member of the Italian Chamber of Deputies)
- Sandro La Vignera (Official Researcher of Endocrinology, University of Catania)
- Anna Valle (Italian actress and former beauty queen)
- Salvo Baglio (Professor of Electrical Instrumentation and Measurement, University of Catania)
- Pietro Bartolo (Member of the European Parliament)
University of Catania Student Life
By studying and living in Catania, you will have a unique experience in one of Sicily’s most beautiful cities. Catania is a multifaceted city. Buried between Mount Etna and the crystal clear sea, Catania is the starting point for the rich artworks and baroque routes of Greek and Roman culture. It is famous for the kindness of the locals, and its bright and vibrant nightlife. It is one of the best places to combine learning and fun.
While studying at the University of Catania, you will see that you always have activities to do and the city never sleeps and is full of energy. You can explore different tastes in both Italian and Sicilian dishes, go to the cafes by the sea just a few minutes away from the university, visit the cultural and natural beauties or have a deep meditation experience with the peaceful sound of water.
Etna Volcano, which is right next to the city of Catania, is active and is the highest volcano on the European continent, so it is clearly visible from the city. You can go to the volcano, which was declared a World Heritage Site in 2013, and have an unforgettable experience with daily tours available for a small fee.
You can also read our article ” Moving to Italy and Living in Italy “.
University of Catania Departments
For detailed information about the departments, do not forget to review our topics named ” Undergraduate Education in Italy ” and ” Master Education in Italy”.
- Agricultural Sciences and Technology
- Catering and logistics science and technology of the Mediterranean food
- Food Science and Technology
- Land and Landscape Planning and Protection
- Environmental and Natural Sciences
- Geological Sciences
- Exercise and Sport Sciences
- Occupational Therapy
- Orthoptics and ophtalmologic assistance
- Industrial Chemistry
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Imaging and Radiotherapy Techniques
- Psychiatric Rehabilitation Techniques
- Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Business Administration
- Basic Degree in Tourism
- Educational Sciences
- Psychological Sciences and Techniques
- Computer Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Cardiocirculatory Physiopathology and Cardiovascular Perfusion
- Cultural Heritage
- European, Euroamerican and Oriental Languages and Culture
- Sciences and Languages for Communication
- Computer Science
- Audioprothesic Techniques
- Biomedical Laboratory Techniques
- Speech and Language Therapy
- History, Politics and International Relations
- Sciences of Administration and Organization
- Sociology and Social Work
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Linguistic and Intercultural Mediation
5-6 Year Departments
- Building Construction and Architectural Engineering
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology
- Medicine and Surgery
- School of Dentistry
English Master’s Degrees
- Automation Engineering and Control of Complex Systems
- Chemical Engineering for Industrial Sustainability
- Data Science for Management
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Global Politics and Euro-Mediterranean Relations
” Engineering Education in Italy ” page and find detailed information.
University of Catania Tuition Fees
University of Catania tuition fees are calculated based on family income and the student’s country of origin. Fees range from 150 € to 3500 € and offer the opportunity to pay in installments.
The University of Catania offers a lot of financial support to its students: You can take advantage of discounted prices for theatres, museums and cinemas. You can get the books at a discounted price. You can benefit from sports activities at an affordable price. In addition, the university gives some awards to its successful students. You can benefit from scholarship opportunities, accommodation and canteen services. It also teaches the Italian language.
Italy is one of the countries that offer the most scholarship opportunities in Europe. Scholarship opportunities vary depending on the university and department you are applying to. In Italy, each region grants scholarships according to the rules it determines. These scholarships vary according to family income, success and personal income of students. Do not forget to fill in our application form to benefit from student scholarships and for all your application procedures.
For more detailed information, you can also visit the University Fees and Scholarships page in Italy .
University of Catania Dormitory and Accommodation Facilities
The University of Catania provides dormitories for its students. Apart from this, there are many alternatives for students to choose from, as there are many accommodation opportunities such as private dormitories, residences, and apartments of different sizes. Catania is quite affordable compared to other Italian cities in terms of housing opportunities and prices.
For more, you can check out our article “ Accommodation in Italy ”.
You can contact us for professional support regarding your university enrollment and scholarship application, accommodation options and many more questions that you have in mind, with the quality of Pava Education.